- Warm the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan, lower heat and stir in garlic followed by the lemon zest. Ensure that the garlicky zest doesn’t stick to the pan. Add chili flakes, saving some to sprinkle over at the end and stir for another 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the chickpeas along with the lemon juice and stir gently. Turn down the heat, cover and allow to cook gently for 5-10 minutes until warmed all the way through. Remove from heat, remove lid and allow to rest for a few minutes before smashing the chickpeas roughly with an potato masher or fork. Leave for a few more minutes to allow flavours to infuse and cools to room temperature with lid.
- Spread over 4 slices of toast.
- Drizzle with quick squeeze of lemon juice, as well as salt to taste and drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Top with cucumber ribbons, crumbled feta cheese, slivered spring onions, sliced tomato, avocado and curly leaf lettuce.
TIPS: Add a sprinkle of dried oregano and/or tahini for additional flavor.
Add a thin layer of favourite flavoured hummus.